Monday, February 8, 2010

Martha Stewart: Chipotle Chicken and Rice


It's only fitting that I would start my new blog with a Martha recipe, as she is my hero. I especially love her Everyday Food magazine, because the recipes are really easy, and I can honestly say I've never tried one that didn't turn out to be at least pretty good.

The latest one I tried is the Chipotle Chicken and Rice. You can find the recipe here.

This is a great recipe for this time of year, when there's nothing better than curling up with a bowl of something warming when it's cold outside. The flavor of the chipotles really comes through, spicing up the recipe with its distinctive, smoky flavor.

It's also makes for a good one-pot weeknight recipe, as long as you can start as soon as you get home. The actual hands-on time is minimal (the 20 minutes listed on the recipe is pretty accurate), but it takes a long time to actually cook (about an hour and a half).

It's pretty spicy (which I really like), so if you don't want to feel the burn, I would recommend scraping the seeds out of the chipotles. That way you'll still get the smoky flavor but without the heat. Its also nice to serve it with a dollop of sour cream, as that help to cut the heat.

I would also recommend (especially if you're doing this on a weeknight and you're low on time) draining a can of low-sodium diced tomatoes and using that instead of the chopped whole tomatoes. I like to stick with fresh when I can, but I have tried this recipe both ways, and I couldn't tell the difference.

The bottom line is - if you're looking for a warming, spicy bowl of comfort at the end of the day, this is a great recipe to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment