Thursday, February 11, 2010

Real Simple: Chicken and Pepper Stew with Olives


When I saw this recipe in Real Simple, I had to try it, because it contains two ingredients that I absolutely love - olives and golden raisins. However, I was a little concerned, because looking at the recipe, I just wasn't sure this was going to come together in an appealing way.

Well, there was no need to be concerned, because this recipe really turned out amazing. The peppers, olives and golden raisins all come together to make a super-tasty sauce that was really good over cous cous. I think maybe next time I'll put it over polenta, as the cous cous got a little lost under this hearty stew.

I think the most important part of success in this recipe was the olive selection. I used Mezzetta pitted Kalamatas, and they were perfect. Salty, garlicky, but not overwhelmingly so. I would highly recommend them, and really most Mezzetta products in general. I was pretty much obsessed with their pickles when I was pregnant. They are amazing.

My one quibble with this recipe is that it really isn't a weeknight recipe as advertised. Even though I halved the recipe (which still made 4 big servings, and thus some really yummy leftovers), it still takes quite awhile to brown all that chicken. That part alone took me the better part of half an hour, since I wasn't using a super-huge pot and I could only do about five pieces at a time.

But overall, if you like olives, peppers and golden raisins, this recipe is a must-try. Just wait until a Saturday when you have a little more time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment